Friday, February 12, 2010

Qld: more pix ...

...from the birdwatching part of our trip. This taken in the rainforest at Mary Cairncross, north of Brisbane. The animal is a Red-legged Pademelon Thylogale stigmata. A marsupial a bit smaller than a wallaby.

When someone first said, Look out for the Pademelons," I was confused as I heard it as "paddy melons" - which my mum and dad used to call a species of melon we grew on the farm, mostly as animal feed, although my mother made gorgeous jam from them too.

4 comments:

Jo said...

New one on me, looks quite small in the pic. Off hand I can't remember how big a wallaby is.

glenda larke said...

Bigger than a pademelon, smaller than a kangaroo? Lol...

Jo said...

Yeah, that's real helpful thanks Glenda. *g*

Joanna said...

Being a South Australian transplanted to Queensland I had the same problem. They're a weird mob up here in the Sunshine State...