Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Food for thought

"From my personal experience (and I really can only speak from that perspective), I truly believe that for literary fiction, it’s much easier to sell boy writers than gals. I know. Who can possibly make such a general statement but I have to say that I’ve encountered several worthy manuscripts that I’m rather convinced that if the writer had been male, the novel would have sold."

--from Pub Rants by Kristin Nelson, Denver literary agent

My advice to female writers: use a male pseudonym or an androgynous name unless you write romance. If I was starting now, that's what I would do. Unfortunately, it never ever occurred to me that readers would select a book based on the gender of the writer.

4 comments:

Jo said...

Well I certainly don't select by the gender, but that's just me. A lot of my favourite authors are female and as you know I read a heap of books. I can't imagine it to be true that publishers favour male authors, but you should know.

gynie said...

I don't know if it's something true for any books.

According to what i hear daily creativ activities are told like a spare-time for Women ,when Mens are much more seen like serious artists.

When i say i'm painting people ask me if i like decoration stuffs, and if i could do a portrait of their kids ^^

Glenda Larke said...

Gynie - sigh. I sympathise.

Peter said...

All I can say is that a lot of people are missing out on some great books by female writers because of their pre-conceptions and bigotry.

I read a recent blog by English/American fantasy author J.V Jones (Julie Victoria) that said in countries where her books were sold without her photo on the sleeve, most people assumed she was a male.